Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Skype: Tulane - Padova

The second semester is already started. And many interesting and new things are waiting for us.

First of all we are going to treat brand new topics such as environment, recycling, energy, culture...
Secondly, every week we are going to spend an hour talking with American students, all from Tulane University (New Orleans).

First Tulane-Padua Xchange:

I have to admit that I wasn't very preperaded to this kind of experience. This exchange is something so new and differente from what I was used to do during university classes.
But I've got the impression that also the American student wasn't prepered either. He told me that the topic was very borring and that he did not know what to ask me or what to say.

After a brief presentation, I try to obtain some pieces of information about recycling in New Orleans. Therefore, I asked him about consequences of Hurricane Katrina on the environment, on the city and on the recycling system. He also told me something about the water pollution of the Gulf, because of the oilers.

We spoke both in English and in Italian.

Even though there were some moments of embarassment, where none of us knew what to say, it was an interesting experience. Usually, in everyday life we, as language students, don't have many opportunitites to speak to English people. and this exchange help us to improve our oral abilities.

I think that the next time it would be better to prepare some questions. In that way, one can have more control on the conversation.

This is all for now.

1 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Dear Svjetlana,

Thanks a lot for your comments. It's useful to know what you all think. An exchange depends both on 'what' you are talking about and 'who' you are talking with. I'll try and think of ways for us to be more prepared for next week's exchange but you may also find that with a different person it goes differently.

I'm glad to see you've got the point of the exchange, i.e. to give you all the opportunity to talk with native speakers from a different country.

Thanks again.

Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home